Welcome to the Recipe of the Week!
Smoked elk gyros with homemade tzatziki sauce
by Heath Wood
Mix Tzatziki Sauce:
- Grate 2 cucumbers, then drain and squeeze out the juice.
- Mix grated cucumber with 16 ounces of Greek yogurt, 2 ½ teaspoons of dill, 3 cloves of garlic crushed, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, take ½ of a lemon and squeeze out as much juice as possible. Mix all ingredients and salt to taste.
After Tzatziki sauce is made and refrigerated for a couple of hours, it is time to smoke elk meat on the Traeger Grills pellet smoker.
- Preheat smoker to 300 degrees using Traeger Signature Blend pellets. The Signature blend consists of Hickory, Maple, and Cherry pellets.
- After the grill has reached desired heat, place Elk Medallions directly onto grill grates.
- Let them cook until the internal temperature has reached 135 degrees.
- While the elk is cooking, slice the cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and red onion toppings for the Gyros.
- Once elk has reached 135 degrees, remove from the smoker and immediately slice them into quarter-inch or more petite strips.
- For each Gyro, use one piece of Pita bread.
- You can serve them at room temperature or do as I do and put them on the smoker for 2 to 3 minutes to warm.
- Lay 3 to 4 slices of smoked elk onto the Pita.
- Top with 4 to 5 pieces of red onion, 3 to 4 slices of cherry tomatoes, and 4 to 5 slices of half-moon-shaped cucumber.
- Garnish with 2 large teaspoons of Tzatziki sauce, fold and serve.