Venison Slow Cooker Barbacoa
This Venison Barbacoa recipe is from our Pro Staff Member Bobby Cole.
This man is on fire when it comes to cooking.
Ingredients and Prep
- 3 lbs. Venison Rump Roast
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 4 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 cup beef/chicken broth
- Soak Venison in salt water for 12-24 hours
- Place venison, onion, bay leaves, chili powder, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, vinegar, oregano and broth in crock pot cook on medium until meat is tender and can be pulled apart with a fork (3-5 hour)
- Remove venison from cooker and discard half the liquids, shred venison and place venison liquids and tomato sauce in the cooker cook for another 1-2 hours.
Note. I will usually cook of the juices in a non-stick pan when the meat is finished
This also works on the smoker cook at 250 F to the point that you can shred it internal temperature of approximately 190 F. If you chose to do it this way place it in a pan and monitor the amount of liquid in the pan, so it does not dry out.
Makes great authentic Tacos serve on corn tortillas top with red onions, cilantro and your choice of salsa.