Benefits of Butchering You Own Deer
What Does a Deer See?
History of Butchering
Butchery is an ancient trade, whose duties may date back to the domestication of livestock; its practitioners formed guilds in England as far back as 1272. Today, many jurisdictions offer trade certifications for butchers. Some areas expect a three-year apprenticeship followed by the option of becoming a master butcher.
Although the art of butchery is still as important as it was in the past, local butcher shops are not as common because local grocery stores are not housing butchers. But how do we process out wild game that we harvest? Processing wild game is not as difficult as you would think. First lets look at the benefits of processing your own harvest.
- Save Money
- Guarantee Quality
- Guarantee you get the most product out of your game
- Get the specialty cuts that you love
- Healthier to have fresh meet that store bought
- You can experiment
- Always learn
The basics of butchering:
- Remove the Loin
- Remove the Backstraps
- Remove Primals (Quarter Animal)
- Follow natural seams to cut out sections into sub-primals
- Cube stew meat
- Everything left over gets ground for for burger meat or sausages.
This obviously is the basics and there are some great resources on-line. I have provided links to some recommended books and tools.
Butcher. (2019, July 05). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butcher
ou need to hit the reset button!