Best Red Chili Recipe
When I think about winter comfort food, I think Chili. Below is the Best Red Chili Recipe. You can add any lean protein from your recent harvest to create a lean, high protein meal. See below and change as you like based on what your freezer has, venison, beef, elk, boar, smoked turkey…. Its your call, follow the remained to the recipe for this Best Red Chili.
- 2 LBS. LEAN PROTEIN
- 1 lbs. THICK-CUT SMOKED BACON, CUT INTO 1/2-INCH PIECES
- 3 Large Vidalia onions,chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 serrano chili peppers, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs. Chili powder
- 1 tbs. ancho chili pepper
- 2 Tsp. cumin
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 limes
- 2 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- In a large dutch oven, cook the bacon on medium-high heat until crispy. Remove bacon and drain bacon grease (don’t clean the pot).
- Add your protein of choice to the pot and cook until brown or heated through.
- Stir in onions, sweet peppers, serrano’s, jalapenos, and garlic. Cook about 7 minutes or unitl the peppers and onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Add chili powder, cumin and ancho chili powder; cook and sire for 1 minute.
- Add cooked bacon, diced tomatoes and 1 cup water.
- Bring chili to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, Simmer, covered for about 30 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in lime juice and salt to taste. Top each serving with cheddar cheese if desired.